Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

Working with Polymer Clay.

Polymer Clay.  An absolutely inspiring medium, if you thought it was just for children, think again.  You can do so much with it, make buttons, Art work, Card toppers, sculpture, jewellery, miniatures, beads, and the list goes on.

I first discovered Polymer clay at the age of about 14, and used to make jewellery incorporating real fossils, which I sold through the fossil shops along the Heritage Coast in Dorset, and did local craft fairs.

When I left school and moved away from home, I stopped making things from clay, and moved in different directions with my crafts, including cardmaking and bead jewellery, which I still do, as well as Resin and mixed media.

It's only in the last three years that I've been working with clay again, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is!

Yesterday I attended the Midlands group of the British Polymer Clay Guild, which meets once every two months at Curborough Craft Centre.  I've been going for a while now, and we've had some fabulous tutor's, including Sarah Shriver, and Birdy Heywood in recent months.

Yesterday we voted to have a 'play day', as for various reasons there were fewer of us than usual, so we sat down to play, and very kindly, Rachel my friend from Silverfusion taught us a different technique that I hadn't tried before.

This was her sample piece:



Excited wasn't the word!!  I am not a bead maker.  I have trouble making them round, putting the holes in without squishing them, and just generally making a mess of it normally.  But this was different, a technique where we wrapped the clay round wooden skewer's, so the holes were already made, and cut the beads after cooking while still warm, so they sliced evenly!

Natasha made some lovely examples, including
pendants from her leftover clay which matched the beads perfectly.




















This is my kind of beadmaking!  We even distressed the beads by using household salt before cooking, which meant no polishing or buffing afterwards, this is HEAVEN to me!

Needless to say, I made quite a few beads. . . .


And this is my finished jewellery:



 

I have absolutely tons of beads left to make more with (I went a bit mad on this technique), and I now need to try it in lots of different colours. . .

If you are in the Coventry Area this weekend, pop into Hobbycraft at Central 6, as I will be there all day demonstrating for Staedtler with Fimo clay, which is what these items were made from.  I think I will be showing this technique as I love it so much!  There will be lot's more to see as well!

Now, where is the salt?  . . . . .

Best Wishes,

Nikki

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post - and some really interesting info in there. Who knew a using a skewer,salt and polymer clay could have such fab results!


    ColaCreations

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thankyou for taking the time to visit. I really appreciate your time and comments.