Pages

Monday 20 May 2013

Rub-on Resist Technique

I've had great fun today, with my entry for Tim Holtz 12 tags of 2013 May challenge. So much so, I made two tags!  I ordered some of the rub on stickers, which landed on my doormat on Saturday, but I had to wait to try them as I was out demonstrating all day, and as Sunday was so sunny here (a huge surprise), we made the most of the day and went out.

The rub-on's are extremely easy to use, I hadn't tried them before, and the rub-on's I remember used to take half an hour to get off the backing, and then leave a dent in the page you were putting them on!  Not with these, they came off easily with the rubbing stick supplied, and a quick pull of the backing paper left them neatly on the page.  There was no problem avoiding the bits you didn't want, but if you were worried, you could cut round the images first, and use them individually.

 Just place the image where you want it on the page, and rub with the provided stick, and there you are!







When you have the images where you want them, you can then dab your distress stains on to your craft mat, and swipe the whole tag through the colours.  Don't worry if it doesn't completely cover the tag, you can fill in later.



Dry the tag slightly, then spritz with water to further react the distress inks and get a nice mottled effect on the tag.

 
Now you can stamp the tag with your main image, in archival ink.  And if you wish, stamp further around the tag with complimentary images.  You can stamp over the rub-ons, and either leave it there (dry with a heat gun to seal image), or rub it off to make the stamp look like it's behind.
  
 
 
I stamped my main image which is from the Tim Holtz Visual Artistry clear stamp range, called 'Lost and Found'.  I then added picket fence distress paint accents with a bottle lid, and cut out the 'Not all who wander are lost' sentiment and placed it up the side of my stamp, as I didn't have the tags used for the challenge.  As I didn't have the enamelled tags either, I used a bezel, which I put the rub-on clock in, and the poison skull sticker as a centre.  I covered these in glossy accents to give the enamelled look.  I did try to 'batter' a brad into submission, but it didn't want to seem to dent for me, perhaps I shoud of toddled down the shed for a better hammer.
 
 
For the film strip, I didn't have the tape, but I did have the acetate already printed from the top of the stamp set!  I cut that up as I store my stamps in cd cases anyway, and it was perfect.  I attached it with pinflair glue, as it's clear and doesn't show.  The butterfly in the centre is on top of the acetate, and the rest are underneath.  I put a little key brad through the film as an added touch.
 
The pen nib was added on top of the orange, it's another rub on, but there just seemed to be a little space needed filling. .
 
The ribbon is coloured with the same distress stains, spiced marmalade and squeezed lemonade, to finish the tag.
 
Here is this tag finished: 



 
And here is the second tag, same technique, just different colours, and I used Tim's metal flower embellishments with the alcohol ink technique on this one.  I used the film strip rub on, and cut out and layered the sentiment, and coloured the ribbon to finish the tag.
 
  
 I can't make up my mind which one I like best, now which one shall I enter?  I missed the tag challenge last month, can I have two this month? 
 
Pop across to Tim's challenge to see which one it is!
 
 Have fun creating!
xx


22 comments:

  1. Both tags are amazing - the colours in the second one though really pop for me. I think you should enter both. I also wanted to stop by and say thank you for leaving a nice comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I really do think your work is stunning, I will be back to see more :)
      Wish I could enter both, think as it's 12 tags of 2013 that one entry per month is probably the norm though. I went for the pink one in the end!
      x

      Delete
  2. Oh Nikki these are brilliant and I love both of them....but I think the second one has the edge with the vibrant colours....glad that you entered it.....good luck and have a great bank holiday Monday....Jo. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hunni, just checking comments as I've been in wales all week with no internet, middle of a field. xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi Nikki, its me again - wanted to stop by and say CONGRATULATIONS on your win~ Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, my first win at anything I think! Love your latest tag and the pic you took for the helmet too! x

      Delete
  4. I love your interpretation great colours and stamp choice! Congatulations x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni,
      Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated. x

      Delete
  5. Such a great tag! Love the colors and the images! Congrats on your win!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Winnie for the congratulations, it's my first win at anything so I'm pleased too. x

      Delete
  6. beautiful tags...such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara,
      Thank you, it was fun, I'm a distress-aholic! x

      Delete
  7. Congrats on having a winning tag. I have to say that your is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy,
      Thank you very much for the kind words (blushes). x

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Nicolle,
      Many thanks for your comment and congrats, glad you liked them, I'm still at the 'wondering if they are ok' stage, but I guess it must of been ok to win.. .
      xx

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your win.......I love both your tags. Thanks a lot for your lovely comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous tag Nikki! Love the vibrant background. I really like the creative filmstrip embellishment. Perfect for this tag.

    Congrats on your win! Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, both your tags are awesome! Congratulations on your winning tag, I just love the vibrant colours on it :-) Great layout and details too!

    Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Patty, Mary and Anne for your kind comments, my first win, now I just have to try and live up to it! xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thankyou for taking the time to visit. I really appreciate your time and comments.